What is the goal of The Winning Pitch Challenge?
- To inspire innovation in ophthalmology by ophthalmologists
- To develop an ecosystem that supports innovation in ophthalmology
- To provide knowledge and tools that help retina specialists transform “ideas” into solutions for ophthalmology problems
- To connect early stage ophthalmologist innovators with early stage investors to accelerate development of solutions to ophthalmology problems
What are characteristics of the ideal candidate?
- Possess very early stage concept for solution to a significant ophthalmology problem
- Interested in access to:
- Feedback and advice from early stage investors and successful retinal innovators
- Opportunity to win $25,000 first place, $15,000 second place, or $5,000 third place cash prize—no strings attached!
- Ability to submit at least a provisional application for patent by the time of the submission deadline—to permit uninhibited public pitch at The Winning Pitch Challenge
- Our resources may help applicant complete provisional application for patent prior to submission deadline
- Product is currently generating little or no revenue
How does the mentor program work?
- The Winning Pitch Challenge mentor program is comprised of successful entrepreneurs, investors, executives, and others who volunteer their expertise to help ophthalmologist innovators succeed
- All semi-finalists and finalists are eligible to be matched with a mentor
- Submissions are advanced to Round 2, and paired with mentors, on a rolling basis as supplies last, so submit ASAP!
- Mentors provide entrants with valuable insight and advice on the team’s concept, business model, regulatory issues, and more
- Mentors provide feedback on team pitches and PowerPoint presentations
- Mentor time commitment is a minimum of a total of 1.5 hours (e.g. three 30-minute phone calls)
- Mentoring takes place by phone, email, and other means
- Mentors are matched to participants based on mentor preferences and the participant needs
What criteria are used by judges?
- Magnitude of problem
- Innovativeness of the proposed solution
- Market size, strategy, and potential for reimbursement
- Competitive analysis
- Business model, including capital requirements
- Intellectual property
- The team
- Clarity of request for investment
How is the Winning Pitch Challenge Finals pitch event structured?
- 5-minute pitch followed by an 8-minute moderated Q&A with a panel of judges
- After all three pitches and Q&A sessions, there will be a panel discussion of the pitches
- As judges are scoring, Q&A with contestants
- Announcement of winners and awarding of checks
- See Submission Process page for more details
Will my idea be kept confidential?
- Any data or information discussed or divulged by entrants during The Winning Pitch Challenge event should be considered information that could possibly enter the public realm, and entrants should not assume any right of confidentiality in any data or information discussed, divulged, or presented in these sessions.
- Due to the nature of the competition, we are not able to ask judges, reviewers, staff, or the audience to agree to or sign non-disclosure statements. As a result, all data and other information submitted, discussed or otherwise disclosed by entrants during The Winning Pitch Challenge should be considered information that will enter the public realm, and entrants should not expect any right of confidentiality in any such data or information.
- All presentations are open to even attendees, and some presentations may be videotaped.
May I submit more than one product idea?
Yes! Submit as many ideas as you like, but no more than one qualifying submission will be advanced to final round.
May I submit the same product idea to The Winning Pitch Challenge Retina and Anterior Segment?
Yes! If your idea has applications related to both retina and anterior segment, feel free to submit to both competitions.
Who produced your amazing promotional video?!
The promotional videos were created by Renaud Duval, MD, a vitreoretinal surgeon based in Montréal, Canada. Renaud combines his knowledge of the medical field with an interest in video editing and media technology to generate educational and promotional content under the label RDPROD. For any inquiries, please contact RDPROD media at email@example.com.